Northwest Bible Church OKC
I. THE SCRIPTURES GIVE INSTRUCTION.
A. The purpose of the Scriptures.
1) But this instruction is much more than packing information into our brains.
2) Knowledge is to lead to godliness and virtue.
II. THE SCRIPTURES GIVE PERSEVERANCE and ENCOURAGEMENT.
A. What is perseverance and encouragement?
1) What is perseverance? The capacity to continue to bear up under difficult circumstances — ‘endurance’. Those who persevere in something, do not stop, they don’t quit, they don’t give up. It is often linked to patience. Also, the doctrine of perseverance
Here possibly the main focus is on perseverance in loving and accepting one another in spite of our differences.
2) Encouragement (comfort) is a wonderful aid to perseverance.
B. The importance of perseverance and encouragement.
Virtues lose their power if they give up. 1 Cor. 13:4-8
C. How do we get this perseverance?
1) The Scriptures give perseverance and encouragement (v. 4).
2) How do the Scriptures help to impart perseverance and encouragement?
By the promises.
By bringing into focus the future glory before us.
3) God gives perseverance and encouragement (v. 5).
John 6:37; John 6:39; 1Th. 5:23-24; Jer. 32:40; Matt. 7:17; Phil. 1:6; 1John 3:9
III. THE SCRIPTURES GIVE HOPE.
A. What is the meaning of this hope?
Eschatological glory? 5:2-5; ch. 8
Hope that God works all things together for good (8:28).
B. Where does hope come from (v. 4)? From God through the Scriptures as they help us to persevere and find encouragement which leads to hope.
In what ways has the Lord helped you to persevere in times of trials or conflicts? Are there special passages of Scripture that encourage you in your spiritual battles?
How can we glean more perseverance and encouragement from the Scriptures?