The Elite Advisor Blueprint®: A Podcast for Financial Advisors
This week on Elite Advisor Blueprint, Ian Cron is here to talk about the Enneagram, an ancient personality typing system with an uncanny accuracy in describing how human beings are wired, both positively and negatively.
Ian is a bestselling author, Enneagram teacher, nationally recognized speaker, psychotherapist, and Episcopal priest. His books include Chasing Francis, Jesus, My Father, the CIA, and Me and most recently, The Road Back to You: An Enneagram Journey to Self-Discovery.
Ian draws on an array of disciplines—from psychology to the arts, Christian spirituality to theology—to help people enter more deeply into conversation with God and the mystery of their own lives. He and his wife, Anne, live in Nashville, Tennessee.
In today’s conversation, Ian wastes no time getting to the heart of the content and shares each of the 9 Enneagram personality types, exploring why people think, feel and act the way they do and how we can apply this information to the world of financial advising.
Here are a few highlights of what we covered:
- Ian shares a conversation he had with a friend who happens to run a hedge fund and how knowing a difficult clients Enneagram number, helped him better know how to communicate in their meetings. This eventually led to this client moving more of their assets to him.
- We cover the 9 Enneagram personality types and how they can help us recognize patterns of behavior in our prospects, clients, teams, spouses, or anyone else we may encounter.
- We get to why self-awareness may be the single most important factor to your success.
- How financial advisors can use the Enneagram to better interact face-to-face with clients.
- How to avoid the workaholic trap as a high achieving financial advisor.
Ian’s deep understanding for how to further discover yourself and connect with people is undeniable and invaluable. I can’t wait for you to check out this interview and apply the insights that he shares to your own journey as a financial advisor!
- [04:30] Find out what the Enneagram is and how it can help you better understand the differing personalities of people.
- [07:49] Ian shares a story of how the enneagram helped a highly experienced hedge fund manager (who oversaw 25 billion in assets) win the respect of one of his most confrontational clients, resulting in even more business!
- [12:30] Discover the 9 interconnected personality types, what they mean and how you can use them to your advantage to build a better team.
- [26:50] Find out how Bill Clinton leveraged the power of being a 9 personality type (Peacemaker), to display empathy, reconcile relationships and forge some of the most difficult deals in the world.
- [29:00] How financial advisors can apply the Enneagram methodology to create better face-to-face interactions with their clients.
- [31:31] The three fundamental emotions that everyone tries to manage.
- [32:39] Why we’re all looking at the same screen, but watching a different movie.
- [35:00] Discover the space between stimulus and response and how it can affect your growth and freedom.
- [38:15] Find out why self-awareness is absolutely critical in the world of business.
- [38:54] How independent financial advisors (3’s, 7’s & 8’s) can overcome workaholic tendencies.
- [46:39] The first person Ian thinks of when he hears the word “successful” - HINT: I was surprised by his response!
- [47:46] Ian shares some of his favorite books.
- [49:28] Why every young man or woman needs to find a mentor.
- [50:55] Why being an 8 personality type as a woman in business can be extremely difficult.
- [52:43] The one piece of advice that has led to Ian’s success.
''Learn Widely, read a lot, and then read more." - Ian Cron
SELECTED LINKS FROM THE EPISODE
- Connect with Ian Cron
- The Road Back To You by Ian Cron [BOOK]
- Emotional Intelligence by Daniel Goleman [BOOK]
- Jayber Crow by Wendell Berry [BOOK]
- Mindsight by Daniel J. Siegel [BOOK]
- Mr. Ives’ Christmas by Oscar Hijuelos [BOOK]
- Churchill: A Biography [BOOK]
PEOPLE MENTIONED IN THE EPISODE
- Michael Hyatt - former CEO of Thomas Nelson Publishers
- Jack Welch - Executive Chairman of The Jack Welch Institute
- Viktor Frankl - Neurologist and Psychiatrist, and Holocaust survivor
- Yo-Yo Ma - Cellist
The information and opinions contained herein are provided by third parties and have been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, but accuracy and completeness cannot be guaranteed by Advisors Excel. The guest speaker is not affiliated with or sponsored by Advisors Excel. Results from the use of these concepts are no guarantee of your future success.
While client appreciation events may be permitted, such event should be reasonable and customary. All producers and investment advisors should be aware of any gifting limitations imposed by federal regulation, state regulation, insurance carriers, broker-dealers and Registered Investment Advisors, as applicable. Investment advisors are strongly encouraged to obtain pre-approval from the broker-dealer and/or Registered Investment Advisor with which they may be affiliated prior to implementing the concepts or strategies discussed in this interview.