Himalaya: Listen. Learn. Grow.
Ancestral Health Radio
Did you know that more than an estimated 20 million Americans have some form of thyroid disease? And up to 60 percent of those with thyroid disease are unaware of their condition.
Not only that, but women are five to eight times more likely to develop thyroid problems than men. And one in eight women will develop some form of thyroid disorder during her lifetime.
This is just another clear example of an evolutionary mismatch disease...
And the problem with trying to heal yourself and your thyroid is that most of the information will have you running in circles, including the (mis)information from the one you're supposed to trust the most—your doctor.
That's why I'm excited to have Elle Russ—host of the wildly popular Primal Blueprint Podcast and author of The Paleo Thyroid Solution: Stop Feeling Fat, Foggy, and Fatigued at the Hands of Uninformed Doctors—join me on today's episode of Ancestral Health Radio.
Elle and I discuss how you, the audience, can reclaim your health through a simple (although not easy!) ancestral approach to optimizing your metabolism.
In today’s episode, you’ll learn…
The six basic blood panels Elle recommends everyone get tested for,
Elle explains how your body uses both T4 and T3 hormones (and how to optimize them both),
- Why Elle says endocrinologists are the worst people to see for your thyroid, and…
Much, much more.
- How Elle gave herself hypothyroidism through maladaptive lifestyle choices
- Why Elle wrote The Paleo Thyroid Solution and how she nursed herself back to health with a high fat, low carb diet
- Why Elle believes the majority of endocrine doctors are 100% uninformed and are practicing borderline malpractice with their thyroid patients
- The biggest problem with being undiagnosed with hypothyroidism
- The last annoying thing on every hypothyroid patient's mind
- Why Elle calls the thyroid the master gland
- What happens if your thyroid is working sub-optimally
- What Elle says this master gland is primarily responsible for and how it works
- How your body uses T4 and T3 hormones
- What Elle describes as the most optimal choice for thyroid hormone replacement
- Why Reverse T3 (RT3) is "a problem on the rise"
- Why most people with hypothyroidism have some degree of adrenal fatigue
- When Elle says you should—or shouldn't—get tested for underlying symptoms of hypothyroidism
- Where Elle recommends people go to get blood work
- Why Elle says you should, "RUN!" if your endocrinologist judges you based off this 1973 test
- Six basic thyroid tests Elle recommends everyone get
- Why it's more important for someone with Hashimoto's Thyroiditis to be on a paleo-primal lifestyle
- Elle explains the origins of natural desiccated thyroid
- Why endocrinologists and doctors were told Synthroid is the only treatment for hypothyroidism
- Why Elle says you shouldn't trust any doctor
- The difference between desiccated thyroid and thyroid glandular
- Why endocrinologists are the worst people to see for your thyroid—and what to do about it
- Why Elle says, "If your blood work is within range does not mean it's optimal. Period. End of story."
- What paleo, primal, and ancestral health all have in common
- Elle describes chronic cardio and why hot yoga 5 times a week can actually make you fatter
- The fat-burning sweet spot in regards to aerobic max (hint: 180 minus your age)
- Eat this to zap your hunger once and for all
- Why Elle thinks you should experiment with your protein intake
- Elle describes the benefits of caloric efficiency (and10 ways to achieve it)
- Why Paleo is cheaper than most people believe
- Why Elle feels she made peace with seven years of suffering with thyroid disease
- Why you need to get your thyroid checked before your doctor puts you on an anti-depressant or statin medication
- Selenium's critical relationship between hormones T4 and T3
- When you should supplement for specific micronutrient needs due to malabsorption versus maintaining proper ratios through whole foods