Himalaya: Listen. Learn. Grow.
The Shared Desk
The video stream
* We’re still social distancing, but we can still be social!* We welcome Aly Grauer and Drew Mierzejewski—another collaborating couple!
Such an epic couple!
* We’ve know each other… Aly and Drew are ‘like us but younger!’* Collaborators in life and art!* Aly produced two short stories for Tales from the Archives* Pip tries some new words from the youth! Vibe and dabbing are no allowed.
6:05 Tee asks the hard question of Aly and Drew; Where’d this all start?
* Like many collaborators, editing and brainstorming often comes off* Aly and Drew started on a project from the Renaissance Faire* Starting off sharing creative projects can be fun… but the rewards are worth it
You can share it!
* For a start, there are no rules* Writers are often imagined solitary- but they don’t have to be!
Sad writer contemplates writing all alone…
* People tend to think ideas are precious, and can be easily lost… but the truth is there are a lot out there* Tee admits thinking never to write another podcasting book.* …and is currently working on 4th edition of Podcasting for Dummies
Pip and Tee fear becoming Taylor and Burton
* Tee brings back the story of the Silver Pharaoh.* Aly and Drew share their own tense moment.* The truth of the matter is, everyone looks back at their first book critically.
21:00 How do you navigate criticism between partners?
* Talk about specifics, good and bad* It can be bad when you take criticism too much to heart, and let it break your confidence* Aly and Drew poured energy into Warda, and it became a podcast and a tabletop game* Aly finally found a way back in with Drew’s support* Drew points out, building a collaboration takes years* Pip recounts the path of collaboration for the Ministry of Peculiar Occurrences* The couples talk about the strengths that make their collaborations work
38:42 Let’s talk Skyjacks:Courier’s Call
* Aly and Drew have a new podcast collaboration, Skyjacks: Courier’s Call* Skyjacks is a wider collaboration, but it wasn’t child friendly, hence the spinoff* Pip gets excited by large birds… especially large kiwis!* We touch on the advantages the Kickstarter campaign had* The nature of the podcast and the storytelling is very collaborative.* Tee waxes lyrical on the latest wave of roleplaying* Art is not created in a vacuum!* Pip and Tee call out some of the wonderful folks they’ve collaborated with in the past!* Pip talks about her own roleplaying fun with George the Dinosaur
Ashimei and George- art by Candy Cane Studios
* Aly and Drew’s Patreon* Aly Twitter and webpage. Aly teaches accent and dialect.* Drew Twitter and Courier Call. Drew also consultation on world-building, DMing, and acting for roleplaying.
If you have an event and want The Shared Desk to appear there...