Fixing Separation Anxiety
I hear many dog owners concerned that their dogs can tell the difference between separation anxiety training and real-life departures. I understand how that makes you worried that you’re never going to be able to leave your dog for real.
In this episode, I explain what exactly is going on with training versus real life and why it's not really a problem. I will also share some tips on how you can get out of the door for real.
- [01:22] On not knowing what dogs are thinking
- [01:34] Modern dog training does not revolve around assuming what dogs know and think
- [02:00] How modern dog training is all about going with what we observe
- [02:31] On body language giving us an idea of the dog's emotional state
- [02:43] Modern dog training is all about outcomes, evidence, and observation
- [05:27] What our dogs are probably thinking if we were to know what's going on inside their heads
- [06:15] How to gauge if training is working and if the dog is learning
- [07:52] Why your differentiating the scary absences from the good ones is vital
- [08:36] How being in control of the thing that scares your dog when doing separation anxiety training in empowering
- [10:32] Translating training into real life
- [11:30] Managing the training set-up and environment
- [13:06] About what dog trainers call “cold trials” and how these help with real-life absences