Himalaya: Listen. Learn. Grow.
Beyond the Barre
On this week’s episode, join us for another discussion about dancer mental health with Josh Spell—former dancer (Pacific Northwest Ballet and Kansas City Ballet), licensed social worker, and Primary Therapist with Opal Food + Body Wisdom in Seattle, WA.
As we tackle another week of learning to navigate this “new normal” of the world in varying stages of lockdown, Margaret invites Josh onto the show as a professional in the field of mental health to shares some wisdom about:
· ways of looking at one’s at-home dance class and fitness regimens that avoid guilt and shame (hint: you’re not a bad person if you don’t feel like taking class today…)
· how we can stay centered using the “art of non-productivity”
· how to be at peace with your body as it changes
· how to open yourself up to the possibility of self-discovery by acknowledging pain, rather than resisting it
· finding ways to “cross-train” our brain and take care of our mental health, just as we strengthen the other muscles of our body
For more information, as well as any links, see the blog post for this episode:
Follow Beyond The Barre:
Host: Margaret Mullin
Producer: Sarena Fishman Jimenez
Music: William Lin-Yee