Himalaya: Listen. Learn. Grow.
Beyond the Barre
On this week’s episode (recorded May 20th 2020) -- husband and wife power couple Lindsi Dec and Karel Cruz, current and former principal dancers at Pacific Northwest Ballet! Join us for this light-hearted, inspiring conversation full of wisdom (plus lots of laughs) from two seasoned professionals and long-time audience favorites at PNB, and hear Lindsi and Karel talk with Margaret about:
- Lindsi’s path from “competition studio kid” to principal dancer at a major company, and how the challenges she faced in returning to the stage as a new mother reaffirmed her love of dance;
- Karel’s incredible journey from Cuba to PNB – and how he persevered when he had to go from being a principal back to a student overnight when he first came to the States;
- Their working relationship and how they help each other grow;
- Some surprising insights about what their biggest struggles have been and how they overcame them;
- The validity of the dance college route as a viable path to a career (Karel is on faculty at University of Oklahoma’s dance program, and who wouldn’t want to be coached by him every day?)
Lindsi and Karel also answer some questions which you, our listeners, sent in!
For more information, as well as any links, see the blog post for this episode:
Follow Beyond The Barre:
Lindsi Dec and Karel Cruz:
Host: Margaret Mullin
Producer: Sarena Fishman Jimenez
Music: William Lin-Yee