10 on Tech
When you think of Cray and computing, images of gigantic supercomputers are likely to spring to mind. With good reason: Cray is all about extreme performance at extreme scale. On this week’s “10 on Tech” podcast, Cray discusses how storage is the key to what they do.
Mark Wiertalla, Marketing Director at Cray Inc., talks with ActualTech Media Partner James Green about the special storage requirements necessary for high-performance computing. It’s a fascinating look at the world of HPC and how it’s changing computing.
Highlights of the show include:
* The differences between enterprise storage and HPC storage
* How the idea of “scale” is different for enterprise virtualization needs vs. HPC needs
* Licensing considerations for massively scaling out all-flash storage arrays
* Why utilizing parallel file systems are a key for designing storage systems for HPC
Resource links from the show:
* Cray Inc. -- https://www.cray.com/
* Defining High Performance Computing -- https://insidehpc.com/hpc-basic-training/what-is-hpc/
* The ISC High Performance Conference -- https://www.isc-hpc.com
* HPC and AI Can’t Compute Without Fast, Scalable Storage -- https://www.nextplatform.com/2018/09/19/hpc-and-ai-cant-compute-without-fast-scalable-storage
We hope you enjoy this episode; and don’t forget to subscribe to the show on iTunes, Google Play, or Stitcher.