EA 04: How To Get Out Of Pain & Avoid Injuries With Perry Nickelston (Part 2)
Welcome to the Everyday Athlete Podcast, I’m your host Josh Kennedy.
Today, I’m talking with my friend Dr. Perry Nickelston. This is part 2 of my epic interview with Perry. If you missed part 1 of the interview please go back and listen to episode 2 of the podcast.
Perry has been working with Strength Matters for the last several years, and he is a huge proponent of functional movement. He is the author of Stop Chasing the Pain and runs the website of the same name. He is a chiropractic physician who focuses on movement and performance enhancement. Listen in as Perry shares his wealth of knowledge with us.
Today’s topics include:
* The RAIL System
* This is a system that discovers why the body does what it does. Restriction, lack of movement, or pain are real or perceived threats to the body.
* If it is about protection, make the body feel safe and that protective restriction goes away. Release areas where tightness is felt.
* Activate different parts of the body that have not been doing enough to keep the body stable.
* Integrate everything together by getting down on the ground and integrating patterns so everything moves as one.
* Locomotion means movement, anything that you do while you are on two feet. Gait pattern.
* Mobility is the ability to move.
* Stability is the resistance of movement.
* The two cross over into control and motor control.
* Flexibility is a lot of mobility, but not necessarily the ability to control it.
* Our brains are always trying to do things to make us feel safe and stable. This could result in locking up a hip. Find the answer in your past and where you don’t like to move to.
* Sympathetic and parasympathetic breath. Parts of our nervous system.
* Sympathetic is fight or flight. We don’t breath relaxed when under stress.
* Parasympathetic is nice and deep breathing down through our diaphragms.
* Breathing takes a conscious intent. Focus on breathing through your nose expanding your belly to give stabilization until it becomes a habit.
* Get down on the ground and learn how to breath deeply.
* Problems turning your head could be caused by the front of your neck. Release muscles and do strengthening. Then look further down the back like the thoracic spine. If you hurt on one side of your body, check the opposite side of your body.
* Nerve restriction is chronic inflammation. Lymphatic system is used to get rid of inflammation. Dry brushing.
* Amino neural frequency is a new way to help people with therapy based on energy and human physiology and electrical signals to enable the body to reset and heal.
Action Step or Takeaway
* Learn more about Dr. Perry Nickelston and his programs at his website StopChasingPain.com
Links and resources:
* Stop Chasing Pain
* Perry on YouTube
* Stop Chasing Pain on Amazon
* Perry on Facebook
* Perry on Instagram
“When we start to empower and change ourselves, not everyone is going to be supportive of the change.” Dr. Perry Nickelston
“We are always looking for some kind of magic answer when the answer is just right there staring us in the face.” Dr. Perry Nickelston
“We need to be able to control movement all the way through f...