Mitch Fenner (by Blythe Lawrence and Olly Hogben)
Jack, Olly and special guest Blythe Lawrence dive into the life and rhymes of Mitch Fenner, who set the standard for educating, empathising and entertaining when commentating on gymnastics. Mitch started his career with the BBC as a ‘whisperer’ for commentators Ron Pickering and Alan Weeks but he soon moved up to sit alongside Barry Davies as a colour commentator. From there he hardly looked back, becoming one of the most respected voices in the sport. In this podcast, we take a stroll through Mitch’s career stopping off to:
- Discuss Mitch’s first ever broadcast at the Olympic Games at Seoul 1988 where Daniela Silivaș scored a perfect 10 on the uneven bars.
- Bring you an exclusive dedication of Mitch by THE Barry Davies.
- Look at the oh-so-dramatic women’s team final at Beijing 2008, when China took gold ahead of the USA and Romania.
- Discuss the technical perfection of Kōhei Uchimura on the floor at the 2011 World Championships.
- Re-live the thrilling men’s team final at London 2012 when Kristian Thomas had the weight of the home nation on his shoulders.
- Assess Mitch’s performance when commentating on gymnasts he also coaches, such as Epke Zonderland.
- Look at how Olly and Blythe tapped into Mitch’s commentary principles when calling the 2019 European Championships together.