A peptic ulcer is a chronic disease, the main symptomof which is the formation of ulcerative defects in the mucous membrane of thestomach or duodenum. It, as a rule, has a cyclical character and proceedswith periods of exacerbation (autumn and spring). Peptic ulcer diseaseoccurs in people of any age, but more often at the age of 30-40 years, men getsick 6-7 times more often than women. Typically, an ulcer occurs againstthe background of gastritis (inflammation of the gastric mucosa) or duodenitis(inflammation of the duodenal mucosa) associated with Helicobacter pyloriinfection.
Currently, the leading causes of peptic ulcer disease are:
1.Exposure to the bacteria Helicobacter pylori.
2. The prevalence of aggressive factors (hydrochloric acid, pepsin, bileacids) over the protective factors of the mucous membrane.
Factors contributing to the onset of the disease include:
· prolonged neuro-emotional stress;
· genetic predisposition;
· the presence ofchronic gastritis or duodenitis;
· violation of thediet (irregular, spicy, hot or cold food, fizzy drinks, excess carbohydrates);
· drinking alcoholicbeverages and smoking;
· the use of certaindrugs (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory: acetylsalicylic acid, indomethacin,etc., cytostatics, hormonal drugs).
The most typical manifestation of peptic ulcer disease is pain in the upperabdomen, which often occurs on an empty stomach, i.e. between meals, nightpains are also characteristic. Less specific symptoms are nausea,heaviness after eating, a feeling of fullness in the stomach, vomiting, loss ofappetite, body weight, heartburn.
Peptic ulcer disease is dangerous for its complications. The mostcommon is bleeding. The most severe and life-threatening complication ofpeptic ulcer disease - perforation or perforation of the ulcer - is theformation of a hole in the wall of the stomach or duodenum. Malignancy isthe transformation of an ulcer into a malignant tumor. That is why you should never postpone ulcer treatment and interrupt therapy. Also you can buy aciphex
Prevention of peptic ulcer disease allows you to prevent this common anddangerous disease with its complications, as well as to avoid relapses in theevent that a person is already sick.
Types of peptic ulcer prevention:
1. Primary preventionof peptic ulcer disease. Aimed at preventing the development of thedisease and eliminating risk factors.
2. Secondaryprevention of peptic ulcer disease. It is aimed at reducing the risk ofexacerbations and relapses of an existing disease.