In episode 308, Charles Reed Anderson joined us to discuss the recent report "Smart Cities Success: Connecting People, Proptech and Real Estate" which he collaborated with JLL. Charles discuss the major findings in the report and examine the role that governments are playing in shaping the concept of smart cities. Continuing the conversation, Charles shares the opportunities and challenges for different countries in Asia Pacific from China to India and offers his perspectives to where we are heading on smart cities globally.
Here are the interesting show notes and links to the discussion (with time-stamps included):
- Charles Anderson (@CRASingapore, LinkedIn), founder of Charles Reed Anderson and Associates. [0:17]
- What have you been up to since we last spoke? [0:29]
- Smart Cities Success: Connecting People, Proptech and Real Estate report by Charles Reed Anderson & Associates and JLL (full download of the report here) [0:37]
- What are the main themes of the report and its intended audience? [1:23]
- Can you discuss the findings of the report in brief? [3:23]
- Why are cities at the center of this conversation from the perspective of challenges? [6:39]
- How do you define ‘smart city’ in the report? [7:45]
- What is the role played by real estate space in smart cities? [9:00]
- Can the vision of smart cities eventually be realized? [12:25]
- In the report, you have looked at the opportunities and challenges for different countries such as Australia, China, India, Japan and Singapore, what are the interesting points on the cities within these set of countries on delivering smart cities? [16:03]
- Which smart cities will be interesting to you at this moment? [19:50]
- Where do we go next for smart cities? [21:20]
- Closing [23:22]
- Can you recommend a book, podcast or anything else that has impact to your work and personal life recently? [23:39]
- Charles' recommendation: Reading the transcripts of interviews he did with different people in how they looked at the smart cities.
- How do my audience find you? [24:22]
The show is hosted by Bernard Leong (@bernardleong & weibo) until 30 June 2019 and are sponsored by Ideal Workspace (Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn) with their new Altizen Desk (Twitter, Facebook, Medium). Sound credits for the intro music: Taro Iwashiro, "The Beginning" from Red Cliff Soundtrack and this episode is edited by Carol Yin, and co-produced by Carol Yin and Bernard Leong. This episode is recorded and produced in June 2019.