The COVID-19 Coronavirus and its impact from China to Asia Pacific with Carol Yin
After a long hiatus, in Episode 319, our host Carol Yin takes the seat to discuss the recent COVID-19 coronavirus and examine the impact of the pandemic to the rest of Asia Pacific and globally in two part series. In the first part of the series, together with the guest host, Yuying Deng, Carol related her experience living through the challenging times in China before and after the COVID-19 virus broke out. We discuss the origins of the virus, the measures in how the Chinese government are dealing with the outbreak, the outpour of grief from the Chinese over Dr Li Wenliang's death and broke down the major misconceptions perpetuated by media outlets.
Here are the interesting show notes and links to the discussion (with time-stamps included):
- Carol Yin (@carolyujiayin, LinkedIn), Host of Analyse Asia and guest host Deng Yuying, CEO of Altizen (@yuyingdeng, LinkedIn)
- The COVID-19 Coronavirus (WHO site) and its impact to Asia Pacific (Reference: Nikkei Asia Review)
- A view of how the pandemic with the COVID-19 virus started before and after the outbreak made public and during Chinese New Year from Carol's perspective [0:52]
- To start, let’s take a chronological approach to the whole incident, how did the coronavirus originated in Wuhan and started spreading across Asia Pacific and other parts of the world? [8:49]
- Wuhan is a major transportation hub and the city is of the size of Pittsburgh in the US. Did the Chinese New Year holidays catalyse the spread of the virus due to the large scale movement of people within China? [12:58]
- How about the virus? Where did it originate? How does it compare to the SARS situation in 2003 or similar outbreaks? [14:54]
- What are the symptoms for someone who contract the coronavirus and how do we know if we suffer from flu or the coronoavirus? [17:15]
- What has the Chinese government done so far in China? [19:10]
- How are the small and medium businesses in China coping with the outbreak? [26:21]
- What is the situation within Wuhan itself and the rest of China? [27:15]
- What are the misconceptions that the rest of the world have with regards to the coronavirus? [30:46]
- What is it like now living in Shanghai and dealing with the COVID-19 outbreak? [33:00]
- When are things likely to go normal in China such that the Chinese government will stop the pause button currently with their response to the situation? [36:03]
- Dr Li Wenliang's death and why the Chinese were outraged by his death. (Source: Financial Times) [37:00]
- As of today (and recording is accurate as of 9 Feb 2020), how many cases are confirmed in China and the rest of the world? [40:40]
- The impact of COVID-19 on groceries deliveries [45:25]
- Misinformation in the Internet across the world with tech platforms struggling to deal with them (Wechat, Twitter) [46:40]
- Wechat fact checking platform against Twitter's no fact checking.
The show is hosted and produced by Carol Yin (@CarolYujiaYin) and originally created by Bernard Leong (@bernardleong). Sound credits for the intro music: Taro Iwashiro, "The Beginning" from Red Cliff Soundtrack.