In episode 336, Eugene Tang, business editor from the South China Morning Post (SCMP) joined us to discuss the China Fintech Report 2020 where he dissect the latest important trends in the fintech market. Eugene started the conversation with a story of his career and interesting learnings in his journey. From there, he dived into the key themes of the China Fintech Report 2020, from explaining how the fintech space in China are currently dominated by the tech giants in China, the impact of AI in the industry and most important, what the new digital cryptocurrency launched by China would mean for its domestic economy and the rest of the world.
Here are the interesting show notes and links to the discussion:
- Eugene Tang (LinkedIn), Business Editor, South China Morning Post (or SCMP in short)
- What is your current role and responsibilities as the business editor for South China Morning Post?
- How did you get started in your career?
- In your career journey, what are the key learnings you can share with our audience?
- China Fintech Report 2020 by SCMP (Promo Code for 20% off: ANALYSEASIA)
- What are the key themes for the China Fintech Report 2020?
- What is the intended audience for the report?
- Let’s start with the key observations, in the report, the tech giants in China for example, Alibaba Group, Tencent and Baidu and JD and Ping An are currently leading in the fintech race. Can you explain how these companies have built their digital only banks and help to broaden economic development with micro loans to customers and extending credit to SMEs?
- What are the underlying technologies in China Fintech that have helped to propel their advances in the past few years, for example in the payments space?
- How do you see artificial intelligence (AI) influence fintech growth? Can you provide any examples that are stated in the report (for example MYBank and Daokou Fintech)?
- Global expansion for Chinese fintechs has been ongoing in the recent years. Can you expand on how fintech in China can help different parts of the world, specifically in broadening financial inclusion?
- Can you discuss the state of blockchain technology in China and the vision for China to establish the first central bank issued digital currency?
- What are the implications for the Chinese economy as of when and if the digital currency is launched?
- What are the regulatory shifts for Chinese fintechs?
- What are the new rules in play that will change the landscape in the next year?
- Recently, the Ant IPO has been delayed because of the clash with the financial regulatory body in China. Can you offer your perspectives on the issue?
- What will be the key challenges for Chinese Fintech in the year ahead?
- Can you recommend a book, movie, podcast or anything which have inspired you recently?
- How can your audience find you?
Editor's Note: SCMP has kindly offered a 20% discount for the China Fintech Report 2020 to all listeners of Analyse Asia podcast and please click on this link and enter the promo code: ANALYSEASIA
The show is hosted and produced by Carol Yin (@CarolYujiaYin) and originally created by Bernard Leong (@bernardleong, Linkedin). Sound credits for the intro music: Taro Iwashiro, "The Beginning" from Red Cliff Soundtrack. analyseasia
· The SCMP China Fintech Report 2020 with Eugene Tang